The Springer Spaniel Lab mix or otherwise known as the Springador is a small to medium-sized dog breed that makes for a great family pet. Sprinadors are loving, extremely easy to train, easy-go-lucky, loyal, playful, and very gentle.
Springador’s are perfect for first-time dog owners, families with small children, or older adults who want a small to medium-sized dog.
In this article, we will take you through every fact about the Lab Springer Spaniel Mix. First, we will talk about the parent breeds separately then we will talk about the offspring.
In this article, we will cover the parents and the offspring in this case the Lab Springer Spaniel mix. So if you do eventually get a Springador their upbringing will be a breeze!
The Springer Spaniel
- Height: 19-20 inches
- Weight: 40-50 pounds
- Lifespan: 12-14 years
- Temperament: Loving, kind, loyal, playful, eager to fetch, easy to train
- Exercise: 30-40 minutes daily
- Health Issues: Elbow/hip dysplasia, PRA, Retinal Dysplasia.
The English Springer Spaniel is a sweet-faced, loyal, loving, bird dog, Springer Spaniels or Springers are built to be intelligent, loyal, and an energy source that never seems to disappear. Hunters love these guys since they can be great family dogs during the week and an exceptional weekend bird hunter!
Their bodies, in my opinion, are just as gorgeous as the Golden Retrievers. They have a double coat that can come in several different colors and patterns, with long flowing ears. The soft, large, trusting and intelligent eyes are the hallmark of the Springer Spaniel.
The Labrador Retriever
- Weight: 55-99 pounds
- Height: 22-24 inches
- Coat: Chocolate, black, yellow
- Temperament: Playful, loyal, even-tempered, outgoing, agile, trusting, gentle, smart, & kin
- Shedding: Sheds heavily during Spring and Fall
- Health Issues: Hip dysplasia, bloat, progressive retinal atrophy (PRA), obesity, cold tail.
The Labrador Retriever’s birthplace is Canada, and they were bred to help the fishermen and hunters retrieve their catches. The breeder needed the Labrador to love jumping into the water and retrieve the day’s catch no matter the temperature.
The Labrador has a double-layered coat that is also handly waterproof the breeder also needed the Labrador Retriever to be friendly and docile to family members and strangers alike.
The Labrador was sent over to England in the 1800s by some English noblemen who had discovered the breed while visiting Canada. Those breeds began the line that is now the English Labrador Retriever, bred more for show, companionship, and conformation.
The English Labrador is shorter, stockier, thicker necked, and more mellow than their American cousins. we have an article on the differences between the American Labrador VS, the English Labrador.
- Weight – 50-90 pounds
- Height – 18 – 20 inches
- Lifespan – 10 – 14 years
- Major Health Concerns – Cold tail, Bloat, PRA, Hip Dysplasia,
- Grooming – Brush four to five times a day throughout the spring and fall and only several times a week during winter and summer.
- Colors – Black and tan
- Eye Color – Brown
- Exercise – They need long walks and runs and playtime in the yard several times a day.
- Training – The Rottweiler Labrador mix is notoriously stubborn, and a trait inherited from the Rottie.
- Socialization – Positive exposure to other people and dogs daily for best socialization.
- Temperament – Loving, caring, watchful, loves to protect, eager to play, aggressive, eager to please.
- Good in an apartment? – Yes! The Spanador is a perfect apartment dog!
The Springador is renowned as one of the best family dog breeds to own! They have medium to long hair and are small to medium-sized dog breed.
Springadors are a perfect breed for apartment living and good for people who don’t want a dog as active as a Rottsky (Rottweiler Husky Mix). The Springer Spaniel Lab mix is also a great dog for beginners. If you are a hunter, then this breed is great for bird hunting retrieval services.
Other than hunting, this breed is, all in all, a great family pet that wants nothing more than to follow you about wherever the family goes.
Common Names for Springer Spaniel Lab Mix
- Labrador Springer Spaniel Mix
- Springer Spaniel Labrador mix
Exercise Requirements of the Springador
Both of these breeds are working dogs; they need a medium amount of brisk walking, jogging, and or running, along with playtime in the backyard during the day.
When walking, releasing the dog off the leash is inadvisable. These agile hunters could quickly take off into the underbrush to chase a bird here, a chipmunk there, and pretty soon, they are lost.
In her youthful days, we had a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, who fancied herself a hunter. She would go tearing off after something that caught her attention. She could be gone in and instant, dashing into the woods with her little bark leading us here and there. So beware the spaniel’s inclination to chase butterflies off of piers, so to speak!
Back to the Springador, proper exercise is the key to a great life with the Springador! If you don’t give them the proper exercise, they may decide to tear the house apart, destroy plants, or go off exploring beyond their yard if not fenced in.
Socialization of the Springador
Socialization is a must for any dog; whether he/she is big or small. To teach your dog good manners will make your life with your dog much more enjoyable. So take your Springador for puppy training, which is a great way to begin socializing them. Then regular outings to town will help to acclimate them to different sounds, smells, people and animals.
Avoid Dog Parks!!
I know this may not be popular advice for some people, but it’s an important one to consider. Avoid taking your puppy to the dog park. The dogs in the dog park can be rude and even aggressive. One bad experience can scare your puppy for life. The dog park can also be a carrier of disease and germs to your puppy.
So if dog parks are your best option for outdoor recreation and socialization for your dog, at least wait until it’s older and well socialized through proper training.
Training the Springador
The Cocker Spaniel Lab Mix is a brilliant puppy, so training him/her will be easy and fun, especially if you consistently train the puppy from the very beginning.
The puppy’s mind is like a sponge, so the more commands you put into that brain, the better trained the Labrador Cocker Spaniel Mix is. Plus puppy training time can be a fun bonding time for you and your fur baby.
When training the puppy, do not give up on the commands, but rather keep repeating the same command for the same action. As soon as your puppy does what you ask him/her to do, praise it with a treat (optional) and words of praise.
There are differing opinions on the different training styles. Some use clickers but never treats. Others use treats, but not clickers, and other variations. So read up on different approaches to see what fits you and your dog best.
We prefer to use a combination of several simple methods, and alternate between them. So for instance we don’t use treats all the time so as not to get them food-obsessed versus also just enjoying the praise.
For more on dog training, this might help.
Springer Spaniel Lab Mix Temperament
They are a hunter at heart, so keep an eye if you do allow your pup off the leash in a park. If given the opportunity, they will run wild and scare up any game up for you to shoot. But other than that, they are one of the greatest family dogs to have!
Grooming of the Springador
Grooming is important if you don’t want this dog to have knots in its fur. Brushing is best done once a day, but once every two to three days is sufficient.
During the spring and fall, you will be swamped with loose dog fur! You can thank the Labrador side of the Springador. But during the summer and winter, the loose dog fur will slow down to a more reasonable amount.
While winter is around, your dog may constantly scratch him/herself due to dry skin. The heated winter environment causes itchy, flaking skin.
One way to help stop this constant irritant for the dog is not to bathe your dog every week as it strips their own body oils, thereby causing dry, itching, and flaking dandruff.
Remedies for Dry Skin in Dogs
Whenever trying new food remedies for your dog, start with smaller quantities to make sure it agrees with them. This includes chew treats and dental treats as many of these can cause dogs to have upset stomachs.
- Yogurt – with meals or as a snack (yogurt is good for dogs and most love it)
- Butter – a slice of butter a day can help, so long as they don’t have a weight problem
- Coconut oil – a teaspoon for smaller dogs and tablespoon for larger dogs once a day, starting slowly
BTW (Don’t rub your dog down with coconut oil; I did that once and ended up dealing with a greasy dog for a couple of weeks! 😂😂😂)
The Health of the Springador
- Hip and Elbow dysplasia – Happens to any dog breed that gets overbred without healthy standards.
- Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA) – This is a painless process of gradually going blind.
- Bloat – Bloat can happen when a dog runs shortly after eating and can be a deadly condition if not take to the vet immediately. There the Veterinarians will cut into the abdomen and untwist the stomach.
- Obesity – The Labrador is prone to overeat, and they can become obese, so you will need to be the food parent not giving them something just because they want it, because they will always want it!
- Cold tail – Cold tail can happen to sport dogs. It’s a painful syndrome where they gradually lose the use of their tail, causing pain at the base.
Conclusion of the Springer Spaniel Labrador Mix
The Springer Spaniel Lab Mix is a great breed for most everyone. Springadors are also a good temperament and fit for beginner dog owners.
5 Star Dog Breed ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
We here at Labrottie give the Labrador Springer Spaniel Mix a five-star rating! Everything about this breed is great! Just give them an annual check-up then you should be able to avoid a lot of these problems.
So I hope I have convinced you to get this beautiful Labrador Springer Spaniel Mix! If, however, if you think that the Springador is a little too calm for your taste. We have some other options:
Do You Have a Springador and or a Dog and Want to Share it With the Labrottie Nation?
For those of you who have or are going to get a new puppy! We have several dog name articles with lots of great dog names.
- Boy dog names
- Girl dog names
- Harry Potter dog names
- Red dog names
- Cute dog names
- Tough dog names
- Fluffy dog names
- Big dog names
- Viking dog names
Happy Tails!The Labrottie Nation team!